Tuesday, September 16, 2014

And it rained and it rained and it rained!


Today we had a thunderstorm to end all thunderstorms. And for our area of southeast Georgia, that is saying something. I think we are the thunderstorm capital of the State.

Naturally, I was in the car on the way to pick up my grandson from school. Tonight was Cub Scout night.  Needless to say, the Cub Scouts were not attended on this Tuesday.  After nearly flooding out in the parking lot of the school, there just wasn't the time nor the inclination to drive across town (the predicted direction of the storm).  A 12 minute trip to the school and back turned into nearly an hour. By the time I found a non-flooded, non-tree-blocked road to to get home, it was already too late to get to the gathering place on time -- on a good day.  Which this definitely was not. 

My grandson, who is 9, was quite anxious about the storm.  He was worried about the other members of the family.  Where were they?  Was it raining on them?  Did they have hail, too?  And endless other questions I tried to answer calmly.  It was almost like talking a "jumper" down from the bridge railing.  By bedtime, a little over 3 hours later, he was still nervous about the power going out.

In the time it has taken me to type this post, the thunder has started again  He's a pretty good (heavy) sleeper so unless the thunder is directly over the house I think he'll sleep through it. 

That's my special prayer for tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment